I don't like to follow recipes.

I've had so many people ask me for my recipes, and the truth is, I don't have any - it all just comes out of my head in the moment. However, I do feel like I can give some guidelines to help you find your own talent for creating delicious, healthy, vitamin rich meals, while discovering a joy for cooking you may have never had.

*note - this totally doesn't work for baking - but we don't want sugar anyway! Let's cook!

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Veggielaya

Need superbowl snack ideas? Want to ruin your husband's day and cook something healthy? Well, you've come to the right spot! Don't worry men, I'm linking you all up to some of my friends' decadent football recipes as well!

This Louisiana veggie bowl will be spicy, colorful, filling, and delicious. You could try to perfect a real jambalaya or gumbo on a first try - that would be awesome, but for those non-recipe type, combining some Cajun staples might be your best bet for southern flair among your snacks.

Veggielaya

Soak red beans overnight
Cook beans per package

In a dutch oven, or pot:
Swish of olive oil, medium heat
Finely chopped garlic
Shallots
Fresh hot peppers

Once crackling up:
add red/white onions
add sliced okra
add tomatoes
add mostly cooked red beans
Squeeze of lemon
cayenne
S&P
Stir, simmer
Decide done-ness per okra

Serve over brown rice
or mix in cooked brown rice

If this is all too healthy for you, please check out my good friends' links below for many great superbowl snacks!

www.gamedayeats.com

www.pardonmycrumbs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do tell me what you think!