I don't like to follow recipes.

I've had so many people ask me for my recipes, and the truth is, I don't have any - it all just comes out of my head in the moment. However, I do feel like I can give some guidelines to help you find your own talent for creating delicious, healthy, vitamin rich meals, while discovering a joy for cooking you may have never had.

*note - this totally doesn't work for baking - but we don't want sugar anyway! Let's cook!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

This Is Some BS!

Wondering what veggie to cook tonight?  Try cooking up a bunch of BS!  Brussels Sprouts rule our kitchen as the favorite vegetable side.  I know there are some faces turning inside out at the thought of this kid-unfriendly dish, but I've converted a lot of disbelievers.  B-sprouts, when prepared well, are divine.

It's all about finding the taste that appeals to you, as these little garden bites are so great at soaking up flavor, it's like they were built for it.

As they are green in color, I use the old saying "if it's green, it needs lemon or it won't taste as good"... All green veggies rock when lemon-ized.


I've seen a ton of recipes with bacon, and while I'm sure it's good, I'm of the opinion that this dish can stay vegetarian, and taste even better, mouth-watering and alive.

Sprout On The Town

Cut BS stems off
Slice BS in half
Heat oil in a pan
(I chose olive oil)
Add garlic
Add onions
(I chose red)
Add nuts
(I chose walnuts)
Place BS face down in pan
Squeeze citrus on top
(I chose lemon)
When faces are brown, flip
Stir around, add more lemon


You could try an Asian version, choose sesame for your oil, orange for your citrus, almonds for your nuts.  A sweet version could involve grapefruit, ginger, and pecans... anything you can find, as usual.

Brussels sprouts arrived in America when french settlers brought them in to Louisiana.  Maybe a cajun version would be in order - creole spices!

Get sprout of the closet, let these veggies express themselves!

1 comment:

  1. This is my go to Amy dish! I love it it is super easy and so tasty. The citrus at the end makes it so great just at the very end to flavor it. My parents had only had the canned Brussels Sprouts before this and they couldn't believe that these were the same vegetable. This is such a great dish! Good all the time
    Scott

    ReplyDelete

Do tell me what you think!