I don't like to follow recipes.

I've had so many people ask me for my recipes, and the truth is, I don't have any - it all just comes out of my head in the moment. However, I do feel like I can give some guidelines to help you find your own talent for creating delicious, healthy, vitamin rich meals, while discovering a joy for cooking you may have never had.

*note - this totally doesn't work for baking - but we don't want sugar anyway! Let's cook!

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Twilight: Veggie Bites

Vampires.  They have nothing to do with this post about fresh vegetarian snacks.  However, you could use garlic in both dishes, making these snacks the perfect herbaceous dishes for keeping vampires away, should you find a need.  (Use on bad vampires only)

Vegetables don't have to be boring, and for those vegetarians out there, veggies often need a new look, as it's easy to get in a rut with herbivore dishes.  This week I made two interesting veggie combos that would be great as a lunch, snack, side dish, or in mass quantities as party bites.  Both of these snacks can be made with ANY garden food you have on hand.

Kitchen Sink Dumplings

Chop and steam all veg
(I chose red cabbage, sweet potatoes, celery, red onion, green onion, cilantro)
Mix all chopped veg
Add sauce
(I used soy, lime, hoisin)
Spoon mixture into dumplings
Put water on fingers and seal dumplings 

Heat oil in a pan
(I used sesame)
Sear one side of dumpling
Add splash of water to hot pan
(watch out for splash of hot oil)
Cover immediately and cook until clear
One side of the dumpling will be brown and crispy
The face up side will be clear and steamed
Serve with dipping sauce
(I used soy, sriracha, lime, cilantro)


Kitchen Sink Croquettes

Grate veggies into strands
(I chose squash and carrots)
Add chopped onions
(I chose red)
Add chopped herbs
(I chose parsley)
Add crushed crackers
(I used whole wheat saltines)
Mix with one egg
S&P

Make small balls with hands
Heat oil in pan
(I chose olive oil)
Press balls flat in pan
Flip when brown on edges

When I made these croquettes I used them as a side dish (sorry plant-eaters) and served alongside an apple spiced pork tenderloin.  Croquettes work for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and are great with any dipping sauce you can create.



Sink your teeth in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do tell me what you think!