I don't like to follow recipes.

I've had so many people ask me for my recipes, and the truth is, I don't have any - it all just comes out of my head in the moment. However, I do feel like I can give some guidelines to help you find your own talent for creating delicious, healthy, vitamin rich meals, while discovering a joy for cooking you may have never had.

*note - this totally doesn't work for baking - but we don't want sugar anyway! Let's cook!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

These Lettuce Wraps Are Radicchio!

Lettuce discuss a better wrap for this awesome Asian lunch - Iceberg can be pretty thin, and the yummy insides end up in a pile on your plate (or lap), so I chose a heartier wrapper, colorful and crunchy radicchio leaves.

Lettuce wraps are often offered at restaurants in the chicken variety, but I liked the way ground turkey absorbed all of the distinct and savory flavors.  This dish is so open to inventiveness - try making a mixture of whatever you have on hand.

Rad Turkey Wraps

Heat oil in pan
(I chose sesame oil)
Add finely chopped ginger
Add onions
(I chose red)
Add ground turkey
Break turkey up in pan while cooking
Add a splash of lite soy sauce
(I also used a squeeze of hoisin)
Add cilantro
Add S&P
Add green onions
Add bean sprouts
Squeeze of lime

Peel leaves from radicchio
Spoon turkey mixture into each leaf
Top with pickled ginger

Cucumber salad

Slice cucumbers
(I chose Japanese cucumbers)
(They are smaller and skinnier) 
Splash rice wine vinegar
(you could use ponzu or just lemon)
Sprinkle sesame seeds on top

This lunch was quick, the presentation is guest worthy, and of course, it's healthy and lite - making it a tasteful afternoon dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do tell me what you think!