I don't like to follow recipes.

I've had so many people ask me for my recipes, and the truth is, I don't have any - it all just comes out of my head in the moment. However, I do feel like I can give some guidelines to help you find your own talent for creating delicious, healthy, vitamin rich meals, while discovering a joy for cooking you may have never had.

*note - this totally doesn't work for baking - but we don't want sugar anyway! Let's cook!

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Taste We Have No Word For

"Mah" Is the way you say it in Mandarin.  In English...there is no word. The closest description is that it makes your tongue feel like it's tingling and swelling up inside your mouth.  That sounds awful.  BUT - it is not - it is awesome, and it was new - which is always fun.

This post is about bravery.  The dish follows the guidelines of stir-fry-what-you-have, with an added twist.  I usually spice my stir fry's with garlic and ginger, and that's what I did this time, but on the side, I added another veggie dish - spiced with Szechuan peppercorns. 


Bravery comes in when you grab something new to try that you have never had, barely recognize, or in this case, can't read.  I added the new ingredient to the separate side dish (so you still have your main dish if your experiment ends in disaster)  It was awesome, possibly better on seafood, but this vegetarian dinner benefited well from the "mah" tastiness.

Mah Veggies

Heat oil and spices in wok
(I chose sesame, garlic, ginger)
Add carrots
Add onions
(I chose red)
Add baby bok choy
Cook noodles or rice to serve
(I chose glass noodles)

Crush peppercorns
Toast sesame seeds
(use a dry hot skillet and toast until dark brown)

Boil potatoes 
(I chose purple, red, fingerling)

Mix potatoes with fresh tomatoes
Add a splash of sauce
(I chose ponzu, could be just lemon or soy)
Add toasted sesame seeds
Add peppercorns

3 comments:

  1. Very nice... Hey can I make a request? Can you do a post on Umami... Love what you're doing Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I love Umami. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just looking it up because I was curious, is MAH the chinese expression of Umami? I'm cheking my Larouse now!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Do tell me what you think!