I don't like to follow recipes.

I've had so many people ask me for my recipes, and the truth is, I don't have any - it all just comes out of my head in the moment. However, I do feel like I can give some guidelines to help you find your own talent for creating delicious, healthy, vitamin rich meals, while discovering a joy for cooking you may have never had.

*note - this totally doesn't work for baking - but we don't want sugar anyway! Let's cook!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Spices. Like Ginger, Sporty, Baby.

If I were a completely dated pop reference, I'd be scary spice.  I love trying new spices, new uses for old spices, and spices that aren't spices, like the Spice Girls.

Flavoring your dishes shouldn't be left to just salt and pepper.  The greatest way to change up a dish is to add a little fresh flavor!


I simplify into 3 categories, fresh herbs, fresh produce, and bottled spices.  Herbs are my favorite, parsley and cilantro are always in our kitchen.  We grow them in pots in our garden, but picking them up at the store is just as great!

The kings of fresh spice are certainly ginger and garlic.  I keep a bowl on the counter and slice it up as needed.

We cook a ton of Asian food, and although I just got some fresh Szechuan peppercorns from a friend (incredible flavor) - I admit, this is an area where there are a few packaged items.  Sriracha, as you know, is insanely popular in all sorts of cooking now.  Beyond that, I just go to the local Asian market (try it, who cares if you can't read what it says!) and pick up random bottles of flavor.


To really spice up your life, spice up your kitchen!  Once you start learning to add flavor to your fresh produce, you will really surprise yourself at how gourmet your meals can be.

Go ginger!

1 comment:

Do tell me what you think!