I don't like to follow recipes.

I've had so many people ask me for my recipes, and the truth is, I don't have any - it all just comes out of my head in the moment. However, I do feel like I can give some guidelines to help you find your own talent for creating delicious, healthy, vitamin rich meals, while discovering a joy for cooking you may have never had.

*note - this totally doesn't work for baking - but we don't want sugar anyway! Let's cook!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dinner for Mom and Dad

Pork is the new black.  Slow Roasting is the new 30.

This main dish is a little time consuming, but well worth the wait.  I've slow roasted Pork in so many different ways in the past year, it's really become one of our favorite main dishes.  The best incarnations were of course, the simple ones:  Asian hoisin pork, spicy Mexican Carnitas, and a previous post - Cuban pulled pork.

My parents were in town, and I wanted to make them something healthy and delicious.  I had to work during the day, so I laid out all the ingredients ahead of time, and had my husband and mom get everything started late afternoon so the pork would have a few hours to cook.


Slow Roasted Home Cooking Piggy Goodness

In a dutch oven or heavy skillet - 
Brown seasoned pork in some olive oil, onions, and spices
(I chose boneless pork ribs, with s&p, red onions, garlic, ginger)
Add sauce
(I mixed tomatoes, chipotles, raspberry jam, soy sauce, vinegar)
(Or choose a bottled marinade, sauce, or dressing you like)
Simmer covered for 2 hours

Steam a green
(I chose swiss chard)
Squeeze lemon on top

Mixed Potato Greatness:
Chop a selection of potatoes
(I chose red, purple, fingerling, and sweet)
Brush with olive oil, spread on a pan, throw in the oven for 30 min
Sea salt and parsley top this nicely
(I also added sauteed leeks)

2 comments:

  1. Love it! 'Pork is the new black. Slow roasting is the new 30.' Ah such a way with words ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pork Belly is the new chicken breast and oh how my heart yurns for it.

    ReplyDelete

Do tell me what you think!