I don't like to follow recipes.

I've had so many people ask me for my recipes, and the truth is, I don't have any - it all just comes out of my head in the moment. However, I do feel like I can give some guidelines to help you find your own talent for creating delicious, healthy, vitamin rich meals, while discovering a joy for cooking you may have never had.

*note - this totally doesn't work for baking - but we don't want sugar anyway! Let's cook!

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Taco Hell Pie...Gross, Amy

Never eat fast food.  Never.  However, many of us grew up with fast food occasionally in our diets, and sometimes you have a random craving for something disgusting... in my case, it was Mexican Pizza.  Gross.  I probably haven't had one of these horrible, Taco Hell pies in about 20 years, but it popped into my head, so I decided to make my own... Mexican Pizza.

Still not the healthiest meal on the planet, but when made with fresh ingredients, it really cures any random greasy food craving you have!  It is of course, really easy, and made me think - it's possible to turn any dish ever into a healthy delight in your own kitchen.


Mexican Pizza

Cook meat in a skillet
(I used ground turkey)
Add hot sauce and spices
(I chose Tapatio & Sriracha)
(I chose red jalapeno peppers)

Put tortillas on cookie sheet
(I chose corn, whole wheat would be best)
Add thin layer of cheese
(I shredded cheddars)
Add onions
(I chose white)
Add tomatoes
(I chose yellow)
Add herbs
(I chose cilantro)
Place tortilla on top
Top with thin layer of cheese

Heat in oven until cheese melts
Slice into triangles

Serve with something like fresh steamed kale to make yourself feel better about having thoughts of fast food.  (Don't forget to squeeze a lemon on that kale! YUM)

You can turn any meal you can imagine into a home cooked healthy version with the right ingredients. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do tell me what you think!